Every day we make a choice… “Paper or Plastic?”. Before your answer, consider the following:
In California alone, single use plastic bags are used at an alarming rate.
380 per second
22,800 per minute
1,368,000 per hour
32,832,000 per day
229,824,000 per week
984,960,000 per month
11,819,520,000 per year
That’s 11 trillion, 819 million, 520 thousand per year.So, what to do today?
- Don’t accept paper OR plastic.
- Bring your own bags (reuse the old ones that you saved).
- Or better yet, buy or make cotton or canvas bags that you can use for many years. Think of how much plastic you will save?
- Keep them in the car so you’ll always have them.
- Lead by example!
- Be a part of the solution.
Cotton bags are made from readily renewable plant material.
Cotton bags reusable and biodegradable.
Paper bags are made from trees. Renewable, but demand exceeds supply.
Paper bags are recyclable in almost every city.
Nylon bags that fold up into little pods are small and hande, but they are made from petroleum, they don’t last long, and they are not recyclable or compostable.
Plastic bags are made from non-renewable petroleum (oil).
Plastic bags are recyclable in many cities. See if they are in your city.